After a Car Accident in California, File an SR-1 with the DMV

  • Nov 6, 2022

Updated: Nov 21, 2022

If you have been in a car, truck, bike, scooter, or motorcycle accident which results in injury, death, or property damages of at least $1,000 or more, you must report the vehicle crash to the California DMV within 10 days of the incident by filing an SR-1.

Failing to report a collision, or even late filing, may result in your driver license being suspended. Many insurance companies prepare and file this form on behalf of their insureds, but always confirm with your insurance company just to be safe.

Where to Find the SR-1 Form

You can file the SR-1 form by clicking on the following links:

$1,000 in Damages Requirement

The minimum threshold in property damages is $1,000. It’s important to note that property damage not only includes damages to a car or a motorcycle, but a building, business, equipment, structures, road signs, light posts, or any other type of personal or real property that was damaged as a result of an accident.

Injury or Death Requirement

An SR-1 must also be filed if there are any injuries or death to any of the drivers or passengers in any vehicle involved in the car crash. The regulation is largely silent as to whether the injury severe in order to trigger the reporting requirement. As as long as there are any injuries in the collision, the accident must be reported.

SR-1 is a No-Fault Reporting Obligation

The SR-1 forms has to be prepared by all parties involved in a car accident driving in California irrespective of fault or how the collision occurred.

Accidents on Public or Private Property

Additionally, it is important to note that it doesn’t matter whether the car crash occurred on a public road or a private property. A lot of homes in Bel Air, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Pasadena, Palos Verdes or Westwood often have long driveways or large front yard where cars can drive. An accident on these properties between two vehicles requires a proper SR-1 to be filed with the DMV.

Seek Medical Care After a Car Crash

After you have filed the mandated California SR-1 form, you should seek immediate medical treatment for your injuries as a result of the accident. Do not wait since hidden or invisible damages from a vehicle or motorcycle accident can become chronic, lasting for months or even years.

Speak With a Car Accident Attorney to Protect Your Rights

If you have been involved in a car accident in Los Angeles, speak with a qualified personal injury attorney who will guide you through the next steps. A qualified attorney can assist you with repairing your vehicle, refer you to the qualified doctors that may be out of network with your health insurance, file a claim with the insurance company, and preserve your rights to make sure you are compensated for your bodily injuries and car damages.

Contact Us for Free Case Review -  SR1 Car Accident California

Scroll to Top